Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cheesy Chive Chicken

(Another of the 10 Tastefully Simple Freezer Meals)

My FAVORITE recipe using our Cheesy Chive!  Such a good flavor and extremely simple.  The original recipe calls for cubed chicken, but I don't bother cutting it up.  After simmering in the slow cooker all day, it's easily shred-able and I prefer that texture anyway.  I also go ahead and make the entire 12 oz. bag of egg noodles to ensure I have plenty for leftovers for lunch the next day!

1 pkt Tastefully Simple Cheesy Chive Warm Dip Mix
8 oz cream cheese (you can also substitute 1 can cream of chicken here!)
1/2 cup chicken broth (I've used water before when I didn't have broth on hand)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
6 small chicken breasts ( I generally use 3 large ones, because that's what they sell around here)
1/2 cup sour cream
8-12 oz egg noodles

Place chicken in slow cooker.  Mix Cheesy Chive with cream cheese (or cream of chicken) and broth (or water) and pour over chicken.  Cook in slow cooker on low for about 5-6 hours.  Shred chicken if desired.  Add sour cream last 15 minutes.  Serve over prepared egg noodles.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have an alternate way to make this (other than the slow cooker?) I'm away from the house from 4:45 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and that's just too long for anything to cook in the crock pot without turning to mush...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could make it on the stove-top too. I would cook and shred your chicken, then place back in skillet and add other ingredients. Simmer until everything is well heated; meanwhile boil the pasta and it would still be 30 min. meal.

    Also - I don't have one, but they now make slow cookers that you can program to switch to 'warm' after a certain amount of cook time.

    P.S.- Last night I made the cream cheese/broth version and the boys told me it was good, but they like the cream of chicken version better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know. I think the cream of chicken version would be less calories too, right?

    ReplyDelete