Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lemon Peppercorn Scallops

I think it's a bit fascinating how our bodies crave different types of food depending upon the season.  During the summer when the heat turns up a notch I find myself wanting more salads and lighter meals.  Yesterday I ventured to the grocery store with thoughts of shrimp in mind, but when the selection didn't look so great, I noticed they had some fresh scallops.  (Well, as fresh as we can get here in the mid-west - ha!)


Being that I've only cooked scallops once, I'm definitely not a pro!  However, the first attempt (posted on this blog on 6/22/11 - Baked Scallops) was a success, so I thought I'd give it another shot. 

Tastefully Simple just released our 'Returning Favorite' products for June & July.  These are items we've had before and clients requested back.  Two of them - Meyer Lemon Infused Oil and Green Tea Peppercorn Seasoning - pair together quite nicely and are a combination I generally use on tilapia.  (Meyer lemons are kind of like a cross between a mandarin orange and regular lemon, so have a great citrus flavor.)

I really wanted to make a sauce similar to a local hibachi restaurant nearby, but that didn't meet my standards.  I went with a nice panko bread crumb topping instead.  The fact I'm posting the recipe on this blog should tell you we all enjoyed the meal!  (I will admit my two youngest smothered them in tartar sauce.  However, the rest of us enjoyed the true flavor.)


Lemon Peppercorn Scallops
2 Tbsp Tastefully Simple Meyer Lemon Infused Oil
1 1/2 Tbsp Tastefully Simple Green Tea Peppercorn Seasoning
1 pound (about a dozen) scallops
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 Tbsp butter, melted

Heat oil in skillet.  Rinse and pat dry scallops.  Note:  you'll want to get them good and dry to avoid the oil popping at you when you add them to the skillet.  Place scallops in oil and sprinkle with Green Tea Peppercorn Seasoning.  Cook about 8-10 minutes until golden brown.  Combine melted butter and bread crumbs then add to skillet.  Give everything a good stir and cook minute or two more to combine the flavors.

We just ate this as prepared above, but it would work well as a pasta dish also.

1 comment: