Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Creamy Ham & Veggie Pasta

Earlier this year, I made a mixed vegetable dish that included mushrooms.  I fully expected the kids would pick around them, but to my surprise...they instead announced they like mushrooms again.  (We went through about a 2 year span where all of a sudden they didn't like them anymore.)  So when I found mushrooms on sale this week, I decided to pull out this Creamy Ham & Veggie Pasta recipe which I love.  I must give credit to Julie Trusler (an AMAZING cook from my home town) who's recipe in her cookbook "JT's - Volume 1" was the inspiration - I simply tweaked to our liking and incorporated items I have on hand.  Now with many dishes, you can omit mushrooms and not really impact the dish.  However, I strongly encourage you to include them with this one.  Really adds a ton of flavor to the meal!

Creamy Ham & Broccoli Pasta
8 oz rotini pasta
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp Tastefully Simple Roasted Garlic Infused Oil
8 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic
1 cup diced ham
8 oz. (about 1/2 bag freezer bag) of chopped broccoli, cooked
1/2 pint of heavy whipping cream (splurge and get the real stuff here!)
1/2 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese

Cook pasta in water until al dente.  While pasta is cooking, make sauce.  Melt butter in skillet (using a combination of both butter and oil will bring out a fuller flavor to the mushrooms).  Add oil and sliced mushrooms; saute until golden brown.  Add garlic, ham, broccoli, cream and cheese.  Cook for few minutes to thicken sauce.  Add cooked pasta, toss and heat through.

NOTE:  Leftovers make a great lunch the next day too!

No comments:

Post a Comment