Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sensational Chicken & Gnocchi Soup!

Dear Olive Garden - You will always have my favorite bread sticks and salad.  However, I have to say this Chicken & Gnocchi Soup recipe beat yours in my taste-testing competition!

I have to admit - I've never cooked gnocchi before, so if you haven't either don't be intimidated by the name.  As my husband would say...can't you just call them 'dumplings'?  And my response...no, because 'gnocchi' is so much more fun to say!  You find them in the pasta section - simply add them into the soup prior to letting it simmer.  This is a terrific recipe to make if you have some leftover chicken.  I suppose you could substitute canned chicken, but if you read this blog often - you already know my opinion of canned meat :)


Chicken & Gnocchi Soup


1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup celery – chopped fine
3/4 cup white onion, chopped fine
1/2 cup carrot, grated or chopped very fine
1 1/2 tsp – Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic
1/4-1/2 tsp - Tastefully Simple Seasoned Salt
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup milk
5 oz. frozen spinach, thawed & squeezed (most pkgs come in 10 oz - so I will post another recipe here soon that gives you a great way to use up that other 1/2 pkg!)
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup cooked chicken, diced ( I used 1 small chicken breast)
16oz. pkg gnocchi (look by the noodles)


Melt butter in large pan, add onions – celery-carrots-garlic and saute’ til almost soft. (If your chicken isn't already cooked, saute it in the pan first before adding the vegetables)  Add flour and mix well, cook 3-4 min and stir freq. Add heavy cream, milk and chicken broth, mix well. cook and stir until it thickens and comes to a boil. Transfer to the crock pot and add the remaining ingredients. Cook low for 1 to 1-1/2 hr.

Terrific hearty, thick soup!  Makes about 6 servings.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment