Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Kings Cake...Tastefully Simple Style


Yesterday was a good reminder as to why I use Tastefully Simple products all the time.  And...a testament as to how someone can be a good cook, but not bake worth a lick!  I can cook.  I am NOT a baker - it's too much science of exact measurements and yes, I'll say it - patience.

In honor of Mardi Gras, I thought it would be fun to have the kids help me make a King's Cake.  So, I turned to TasteofHome.com for a made from scratch recipe for us.  Honest to goodness FOUR HOURS LATER and a kitchen in massive chaos...this was our result.

Exhibit A


The perfectionist in me took over with a 'I will not fail' mentatlity, so today Isaac and I turned instead to Tastefullysimple.com for another Mardi Gras idea.  There it was...Absolutely Almond Pound Cake made into a King's cake.  One hour later and only two dirty dishes...our successful cake looked like this...

Exhibit B


So, once again...I will be quickly flipping past ANY recipe calling for dry yeast!  Made from scratch breads and cakes...not in this house.  We'll stick with what we're good at - the items I grab from my Tastefully Simple inventory shelves.  Easy to make, little mess and tastes great!  Excited to have the other boys and Erik join us later tonight, so we can some dessert together.  Hmmm....think I know which cake will remain only as crumbs and which will be used a paper weight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment